Examining Boards

All collaborative centres will need to hold examining boards in order to consider and confirm students’ progression and final award classifications.

Examining boards are a key part of the quality assurance processes to ensure that standards are comparable with those of other schemes within the University of Wales and the UK.

Examining boards are arranged directly by the University of Wales, ideally at the start of the academic session. The academic unit is responsible for confirming the date of the examining board, issuing invites to attendees, and coordinating all subsequent travel arrangements. Examining boards can only take place once the date has been approved by the University of Wales.

This brief guide to examining boards is split into three sections:

BEfore the EXAMINING board

Marking student work
All student work should be marked by internal examiners. Please follow and ensure that markers make full comments. It is good practice for work to be marked anonymously and for markers to complete marking sheets.

Unfair Practice
If (plagiarism or collusion) is suspected, the university’s Unfair Practice Procedure must be followed and the university must be informed and invited to attend any hearing.

Examination Transfer
At least one month prior to the examining board, the institution administrator should upload an examination transfer. This will generate a University mark sheet (ORF). Please refer to the Guidance for Registration and Examination Transfers for further information.

Internal examining board
An internal board should be held in advance of the examining board.

Special/extenuating circumstances
Students should be made aware of the process for submission of extenuating circumstances in the student handbook. Applications should be considered first at the internal examining board or a special circumstances committee.

Review of student work by external examiners
External examiners will need to review a sample of all marked student work prior to the examining board to enable them to confirm the marks awarded and comment on the assessment process.

If your scheme has been taught/assessed in a language other than English, you will also need to provide translated copies of the assessment and student work.